Thursday, March 19, 2015

Savoury Scones

 Hot Out of the Oven

On tonight's dinner menu was leftover Irish stew.  And since we we're all out of soda bread, I decided to make a batch of savoury scones this afternoon.

This was my first time making savoury scones and I turned to Delia Smith for the recipe.  When making scones, I've found Delia's recipes to be spot-on for making the best British-style scones at home.

 The Ingredients

I found Delia's recipe for Buttermilk Scones with Cheshire Cheese and Chives on her website Delia Online.

Most of the ingredients were in my pantry.  Luckily I had buttermilk and chives on hand from making soda bread with herbs on St. Patrick's Day.  I did not however have Cheshire cheese so I substituted a medium cheddar.  I used the Tillamook brand from Tillamook, Oregon since my husband is from the Oregon Coast and Tillamook makes award winning cheddar. 

 Cheesey Scones

The scone dough mixes easily together in a large bowl.  According to Delia, the key is not to overwork the dough or the scones will be heavy and tough.  And Delia shares in the recipe, that the secret of a well-risen scone is to roll your dough out to a 1 inch thickness.  I used a fluted cutter for my scones that was just a bit smaller than the recipe called for.  My batch yielded 8 small scones.  

Cheese & Chive Scones

According to Delia, you serve these scones warm and spread with lots of butter.

We liked the scones tonight but thought my soda bread was actually better with my Irish stew. This scone recipe is worth keeping though and I will try it again sometime...probably on a chilly night with a big pot of home-made soup.

2 comments:

  1. I have made Delia's savoury mini scones which are also delicious and you can find them in her Christmas recipe book.

    ReplyDelete