Monday, December 22, 2014

A Gingerbread Holiday Tea

The Gingerbread House 

I've had tea at some of the quaintest tea rooms in England.  I've enjoyed afternoon tea in the beautiful tea room at The Empress Hotel in Victoria, BC.  And now I can add afternoon tea at San Francisco's Fairmont Hotel to my tea room list. 

I celebrated my birthday with the Fairmont's Gingerbread Holiday Tea.  Weekends were booked so my husband took a day off of work to fulfill my birthday wish.  Sadly,  I was disappointed in the tea experience at The Fairmont.

More tea, please!

Service was certainly lacking for the price charged.  I was served a very tiny pot of tea at the same time they served us our champagne.  Then so much time elasped before the silver tea stand arrived at our table that my tea was cold.  I was never even offered more tea or hot water.  In fact, once our tea stand was delivered, our server never even checked on us.  

The Laurel Court Restaurant

Looking back now, perhaps when you look forward to something so much you do set yourself up for a little disappointment?  Or, am I just a tea snob now?  Or was it really that bad?  I did enjoy the culinary touches of the sandwich presentation which will inspire me for tea parties at home.  And, I did love the interior of the Laurel Court Restaurant whose grandeur does transport you back to another era.  I suppose, I just longed for that type of hotel service from another era.

The Gingerbread Holiday Tea Stand


Traditional silver afternoon tea stand with sweets and savories.

The Savories

Deviled egg, smoked salmon pinwheel, Dungeness Crab Mango Salad on Pumpernickel, Roast Beef with Horseradish Cream on sourdough, and English cucumber and Chevre with winter quince on rye. 

The scones

Traditional orange peel and cranberry Fairmont scones and aged cheddar and chive sonces.  Accompanied by Devonshire cream and lemon curd.

The Sweets

Selection of holiday season petite pastries.

No comments:

Post a Comment